Beetroot and Blue Cheese Salad
This is a lovely colourful salad that is full of flavour – remember to use gloves when removing the beetroot skin or you will end up looking like a massacre has taken place in your kitchen!
- Fresh raw Beetroot
- Whole Green Beans
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil & 1 tbsp Balsamic Vinegar
- Juice of half a Lemon
- 1 clove Garlic (crushed)
- Handful of Blue Cheese – eg stilton or roquefort
- salt & pepper to taste
- Heat oven to approx 180°C
- Chop beetroot in wedges and put into a bowl (it is not necessary to peel the beetroot at this stage
- Mix the oil, vinegar, lemon and garlic together and pour onto beetroot and mix to coat beetroot
- Tip beetroot onto a baking tray and cover with foil. Put into oven and roast for approx 45 minutes or until the beetroot is cooked.
- In the meantime blanch or steam the beans for a few minutes. Try not to overcook the beans as you need them to be ‘just cooked’. As soon as they are cooked rinse immediately in cold water as this will help them keep their lovely green colour.
- When the beetroot is cooked the skin is easily removed by pushing it off with your fingers (remember to wear gloves!)
- When the beetroot is cool, arrange on a serving dish with the beans and then sprinkle the cheese over the top. Add a little salt and pepper to taste.
1 hour 15 minutes
Make it Different
– Try adding some chopped thyme before roasting
– Try experimenting with different cheeses such as feta
Pre-cooked beetroot can be used if you don’t have time to roast raw beetroot. Buy the type that has not been soaked in vinegar first though. Simply chop up and stir the dressing through to give it the flavour of the balsamic, lemon and garlic.
Fast Free Shipping to Mainland UK